Welcome to Anne's blog!

If you are new to the blog, you probably want to start at the beginning of the whole sad story. To get there, use the "Blog Archive" tool in the right column of the blog and click on "2009," and then "January 25." From there you can continue to click on each week to see the weekly entries.

I would love to hear from you! If you would like to leave a message, you can reach me at aheetderks@wcsmiami.org!

Wednesday through Friday, January 21 – 23, 2009

Over the next few days, Doug and I realized that this new journey we were on was going to be a slow, hour-by-hour, day-by-day process.  Our days were filled with so many blessings . . .

  • My nurse, Jorge, taught me how to take shower without getting my fixator or IVs wet.
  • Doug and I took a nap together on my bed.
  • Dear friends from our school and church supported us by bringing meals, making personal connections with colleagues in the medical community, arranging babysitting or sleepovers for our kids (they had such a great time they didn't want to come back home!), praying earnest prayers for healing, and sending messages of love and support.
  • Our insurance seems to be decent and is (so far) covering my care.
  • Our girls have been so sweet and honest with their feelings of fear, love, and a little bit of denial.  Their presence keeps Doug and I grounded and focused on staying positive.
  • My nurse, Gizele actually walked to a Walgreens to get my pain meds when the delivery didn’t come to the hospital on time.
  • That my dear assistant, Lisa, has taken up the responsibility of teaching my classes at WCS with grace, enthusiasm, and great competence.
  • I was able to sleep for longer than 2 hours at a time.
  • My physical therapist told me about a little scooter that I could use to become more mobile while in the fixator (I will have to pay for it out of pocket so I am doing some research on it right now).
  • Doug was so beautiful with helping the girls come to terms with the reality of their Mom being out of commission for a while.
  • I will be able to collect disability for the three months that I cannot work.
  • I realized that my body is very strong and can handle moving around with the walker with relative ease.  Although the exercises they have given me to do every other hour can be difficult, they make my body feel good and allow me to get my blood moving!
  • Our girls have such dear friends who are trying to support them without making them feel strange or uncomfortable.
  • We began meeting Dr. Carbonell’s residents who were all too willing to offer us realistic expectations, encouraging bits of information, and advice to “take it slow.”
  • Doug and my relationship has taken on a new depth and intensity as our need for each other has become an absolute necessity.  I adore my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.